Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Many Avenues....One Path.......

It always interests me to hear discussions among equestrians.  It seems like everyone who rides and actually competes- or doesnt'- seems to have their own idea about how things should be done in order to be successful at their sport....and yours.  If you talk to dressage riders, they will swear that only one set of aids will influence the inside hind properly- reiners will tell you the opposite, and both will insist they are right!

I have had the opportunity of late to be boarded at a saddlebred barn- a first for me.  I am amazed at these horses.  They are as aerobically fit as an eventer! They have to be- they move in a way that seemingly utilizes massive amounts of energy.  To me, a seasoned dressage rider, their movement is unnatural.  However, they are bred to move in such a manner, and watching them work, and seemingly enjoy their work,  I can find the beauty in it. 

The owner of the barn, Beth Whitfield, is a saddlebred trainer.  She comes from a standardbred racing background with a little Monty Roberts thrown in for good measure.   She is smart when it comes to horses, believing that affection is important but obedience is necessary.  She believes that they should be disciplined as the boss mare would discipline them at liberty.  When they disobey in hand, they are backed up several feet in a not so gentle manner.  When they do well, they are asked to lower their head- as a reward and an act of submission. This, she tells me, translates wonderfully to work under saddle- and she is right!

  I have never been into the entire "natural horsemanship" thing, but I have to tell you, it works!  Whitty and I have been working in hand using Beth's principals and he is coming along by leaps and bounds.  He is becoming obedient, respectful of my space, and most importantly, trusting of me and confident in himself.  Beth has patiently showed me the techniques she uses to start young saddlebreds- to get them wise to the bridle and laterally flexible.  I have watched Beth  long lining horses at all gaits.  Horses are not just worked in an arena, but rather are long lined all over the neighborhood - not so different from the way I broke Jordi.

I have read books by dressage masters that have not provided me with the information or techniques necessary to get my beloved Jordi to quit hanging on my hands.  Beth gave me a bit known as a Waterford Snaffle which accomplished in 20 minutes what weeks of transitions could not.  Jordi was light as a feather and carrying himself- apparently laying on that Waterford bit is not a comfy proposition and Jordi learned quickly that he did not want to do that!  Horses, like humans, are comfort seekers. Make it uncomfortable for them to do the wrong thing, and they will choose the correct thing every time!  More importantly, they will choose it quickly because it becomes their idea to do so!

So, the lesson of this blog is simple- don't discount anything or anyone when it comes to equestrian sport.  Your way may be tried and true, but don't think for a minute there is not another technique that will get the job done- maybe better and faster that your own method.  We can learn from everyone who trains or rides these marvelous animals.  We can take another discipline's methodology, tweak it to suit our own, and create success we may never have had otherwise.

The important thing to being successful in any form of equestrian sport is to allow the horse to make the right choices as a thinking and feeling member of the "team".  In this way, the horse learns to join the rider in the work, not just be the object of the work.  The horse learns to enjoy it's job, and a happy horse is a winning horse, regardless of the discipline in which it competes.

When it comes to the path of equestrian success, there are many avenues to take...pick one and enjoy the ride!

1 comment:

  1. By the way everyone- Beth is NOT a progfessional trainer- she is an amature who trains her own horses. She has been kind enough to help me with Whitty, showing me different things that work for her. I am still looking for a professional dressage trainer to work with down here in Lexington. If anyone knows of one drop me a line!

    ReplyDelete